The Office of Pharmaceutical Industry Research (OPIR) was established in January 1999 by the Japan Pharmaceutical Manufacturers Association (JPMA). The OPIR has its mission to analyze the internal and external environments of the Japanese pharmaceutical industry and the mid-and-long-term issues it faces, and to make public policy recommendations based on its research.
Through its research, the OPIR aims to develop an economic and social framework which contributes to the swift and continuous provision of innovative and efficacious medicines with appropriate prices. The framework should enhance access to and proper use of the medicines by healthcare consumers. OPIR research is also expected to contribute to raising public awareness of the importance of and the social role of the pharmaceutical industry.
OPIR serves as an open laboratory for research and policy recommendations and development of human resources through friendly competition. OPIR proactively promotes its research including outside research collaboration and external research contracts.
Research results already published and ongoing research themes in recent years
Policy for Innovation
- Strengthening the global competitiveness of drug discovery and basic technology in emerging areas
- Strength of basic research for drug discovery in Japan
- Current situation of personalized medicine and trends in pharmaceutical industry
- Public support of R&D and the performance of the industry
- Contribution of Japanese pharmaceutical industry to growth of Japanese economy
- Global competitiveness and growth strategy of R&D oriented pharmaceutical companies
- International comparison of tax system for pharmaceutical industry and global competitiveness of drug discovery
Infrastructures for R&D
- Challenges to streamlining drug discovery process in Japan, viewed from the patent application trends in the area of biomarker related researches
- Roles of pharmaceutical industry in biomarker development
- Alliance between pharmaceutical industry and bio-venture companies
- Duration of clinical trials and regulatory review of new drugs in Japan
- Cost and length of research and development of new drugs
- Handling of drug safety information during the life cycle management of new drugs
- Survey of current status of clinical trials in Asian regions
Medical Care for Patient
- Survey of drug lag in Japan
- Current status of new drug development and approvals for unmet medical needs
- Challenges to innovation of orphan drug development in Japan
- Regulation of drug pricing and cost-benefit to patients
- Impact on innovation and consumer surplus by the premium pricing for new drugs
- Social action program of R&D oriented pharmaceutical companies in developing countries
Environment of Pharmaceutical Market
- Access to new drugs and market dynamism : Impact on new drug development in Japan by market forces
- Trends of drug discovery technology by pharmaceutical industry in emerging countries
- Strategies on generic drug business by pharmaceutical companies including R&D oriented companies
- Impact on pharmaceutical market by the promotion of generic drugs use
- Business risk management in pharmaceutical industry
"Future Image of Pharmaceutical Industry - Missions and challenges in the industry toward 2015 -"
"Strengthening competitiveness as ‘A place for drug discovery’ - Current situations and challenges in the pharma industry -"